For a breakdown of costs associated with attending our graduate programs, visit the UH Manoa Graduate Division website. Effective Fall 2020, graduate students from WICHE (Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education) states will pay 1.5 times the resident tuition rate (instead of non-resident rates).
Financial support is available through graduate assistantships (research and teaching) and internships. Assistantships and internships include tuition waivers and subsidized fringe benefits. Research projects provide financial support to graduate assistants while providing them with the opportunity to participate in engineering studies and familiarize themselves with theoretical, numerical, and experimental methods. A number of local engineering firms sponsor ORE internships and provide practical training at their sites. Further details (and the assistantship application) are available on the ORE Admissions page. The University of Hawai’i sometimes has scholarships available. Beyond ORE, advertisement for some graduate assistant positions and other career opportunities at the University of Hawai‘i is managed centrally here.
Graduate scholarships and fellowships are regularly offered to qualified candidates by a number of organizations, some of which are listed below. We invite you to contact faculty whose research aligns with your interests to collaboratively develop a project for these opportunities.
- ASEE links: http://www.asee.org/fellowship-programs/graduate
- DoE CSGF: https://internships.fnal.gov/csgf/
- East-West Center: http://www.eastwestcenter.org/scholarships-fellowships
- IEEE OES: http://www.oceanicengineering.org/page.cfm/cat/81/OES-StudentScholarship-Program/
- Link: http://www.linkenergy.org/
- MTS: https://www.mtsociety.org/education/scholarships.aspx
- NSF: http://www.nsfgrfp.org/
- ONR: http://www.onr.navy.mil/en/Education-Outreach/undergraduate-graduate/NDSEG-graduate-fellowship.aspx
- SNAME: http://www.sname.org/directories/programsresources/scholarships/
- UH financial aid: http://www.hawaii.edu/fas/
- Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship: https://www.smartscholarship.org/smart
- SOEST web listing of National Scholarship Opportunities: https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/soestwp/education/graduate/financial-support/
Most PhD students in the Department are supported by graduate assistantships throughout their study, while MS students engaged in the Plan A thesis option usually find support by their second year of coursework. Details and assistantship application forms are available on the ORE Admission Link.