Michael J. Mottl
|Department of Oceanography
University of Hawai`i at Manoa
1000 Pope Road
Marine Sciences Building
Honolulu, HI 96822
|Phone: (808) 956-7006
Fax: (808) 956-9225
- B.S. 1970- Geology, Michigan State University
- M.A. 1972- Geology, Princeton University
- Ph.D. 1976- Geology, Harvard University
- Geochemical cycles
- Geochemical implications of plate tectonics
- Interaction of seawater with the oceanic crust
- Fluids in subduction zones
- OCN 201- Science of the Sea
- OCN 622- Geological Oceanography
- OCN 623- Chemical Oceanography
- OCN 310- Global Environmental Change
Mottl, M.J., and H.E. Elderfield (eds.) (2013) The Oceans and Marine Chemistry. Vol. 7 of the Treatise on Geochemistry, 2nd edition (K.K Turekian and H.D. Holland, Exec. Editors), Elsevier.
Mottl, M.J. (2012) VentDB: an online database of hydrothermal vent chemistry. Available online at:
Mottl, M.J., J.S. Seewald, C.G. Wheat, M.K. Tivey, P.J. Michael, G. Proskurowski, T.M. McCollom, E. Reeves, J. Sharkey, C.-F. You, L.-H. Chan, and T. Pichler (2011) Chemistry of hot springs along the Eastern Lau Spreading Center. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 75:1013-1038.
Mottl, M.J., B.T. Glazer, R.I. Kaiser, and K.J. Meech (2007) Water and Astrobiology. Chemie der Erde 67:253-282.
Mottl, M.J., C.G. Wheat, P. Fryer, J.Gharib, and J.B. Martin (2004) Chemistry of springs across the Mariana forearc shows progressive devolatilization of the subducting plate. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 68:4915-4933.
Wheat, C.G., and M.J. Mottl. Geochemical fluxes through mid-ocean ridge flanks (2004) Ch. 19, pp.627-658, in Hydrogeology of the Oceanic Lithosphere (E.E. Davis and H.E. Elderfield, eds.), Cambridge University Press, 706p.
Mottl, M.J., S.C. Komor, P. Fryer, and C.L. Moyer. Deep-slab fluids fuel extremophilic Archaea on a Mariana forearc serpentinite mud volcano: Ocean Drilling Program Leg 195 (2003) Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 4(11):9009, doi:10.1029/2003GC000588, 14pp.
Mottl, M.J. (2003) Partitioning of energy and mass fluxes between mid-ocean ridge axes and flanks at high and low temperature. In Energy and Mass Transfer in Marine Hydrothermal Systems (P.E.Halbach, V. Tunnicliffe, and J.R. Hein, eds.), pp. 271-286, Dahlem University Press, Berlin, 365 pp.
Wheat, C.G., and M.J. Mottl (2000) Composition of pore and spring waters from Baby Bare: global implications of geochemical fluxes from a ridge flank hydrothermal system. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 64 629-642.
Mottl, M.J., G. Wheat, E. Baker, N. Becker, E. Davis, R. Feely, A. Grehan, D. Kadko, M. Lilley, G. Massoth, C. Moyer, and F. Sansone (1998) Warm springs discovered on 3.5 Ma oceanic crust, eastern flank of the Juan de Fuca Ridge. Geology, 26 51-54.
Mottl, M.J., F.T. Sansone, C.G. Wheat, J.A. Resing, E.T. Baker, and J.E. Lupton (1995) Manganese and methane in hydrothermal plumes along the East Pacific Rise, 8°40' to 11°50'N. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 59 4147-4165.
Mottl, M.J., C.G. Wheat, and J. Boulegue (1994) Timing of ore deposition and sill intrusion at Site 856: evidence from stratigraphy, alteration, and sediment pore water composition. Proc. ODP, Sci. Results, 139 679-693.
Mottl, M.J., Davis, E.E., Fisher, A.T., and Slack, J.F. (eds.) (1994) Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, Scientific Results 139: College Station, TX, 772 pp.
Mottl, M.J., and C.G. Wheat (1994) Hydrothermal circulation through mid-ocean ridge flanks: fluxes of heat and magnesium. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 58 2225-2237.
Mottl, M.J. (1992) Pore waters from serpentinite seamounts in the Mariana and Izu-Bonin forearcs, Leg 125: evidence for volatiles from the subducting slab. In Fryer, P., Pierce, J., Stokking, L.B., et al., Proc. ODP, Sci. Results, 125 373-385.
Mottl, M.J., and T.F. McConachy (1990) Chemical processes in buoyant hydrothermal plumes on the East Pacific Rise near 21°N. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 54 1911-1927.
- National Science Foundation. Collaborative research: Studies of deep-sourced mud volcanism in the Mariana forearc: a DSL-120, Jason ROV, and coring program. P. Fryer and M.J. Mottl, P.I.ís. $397,888 Funded. Period 10/1/01-9/30/04
- National Science Foundation. Collaborative research: Sampling and initial characterization of hydrothermal fluids, deposits, microfauna, and megafauna at vent fields along the Eastern Lau Spreading Center. M.J. Mottl, P.I. $105,313 Funded. Period 1/1/04-12/31/05
- Ocean Drilling Program, U.S. Science Support Program. Composition of Pore Waters from ODP Leg 195, Sites 1200-1202, Western Pacific. M.J. Mottl, P.I. $36,835 Funded. Period 5/3/01-3/8/04