A new course is being offered in SOEST. OCN199: Communicating Climate Change Through Graphic Design will be taught by Malte F. Stuecker, oceanography assistant professor, and Esther Gonstalla, an award-winning graphic designer.
This course is ideal for students majoring in ART, BFA, Creative Media, OCN, GES, ATMO, ERTH, MBBE, NREM, PEPS, TPSS, or similar. Students will work in interdisciplinary teams to investigate complex scientifi c data and create an infographic on climate change for the general public in Hawaiʻi.
A mandatory first class meeting will be held on January 8, 2024, 1.30-2.20pm and the course will be held during Spring Break 2024 (5 full days, intensive, 9am-5pm).
• Bring your own laptop
• Adobe InDesign CC and Illustrator CC (free 7-day trial version is available for these programs)
• BFA/ART/Creative Media majors are expected to have intermediate-to-advanced technical skills using
InDesign and Illustrator
• The class has limited seats (10 art/creative media and 10 STEM students)!
• Complete application form https://tinyurl.com/UHclimate by November 1, 2023
• Students that are selected will receive information on how to register for the class
• The regular spring 2024 dates for registration, add/drop, refund, grade reporting, etc. apply
(refer to the academic calendar: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/registrar/academic-calendar/spring-2024/)