General Information | Research | Teaching | Activities
Professor BIN WANG
A. GENERAL INFORMATION
Department of Meteorology,
School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology,
University of Hawaii, 2525 Correa Road, Honolulu, HI 96822.
Tel: (808) 956-2563. Fax: (808) 956-2877. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ph. D. (1984), Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Program,
Florida State University.
- M. S. (1981), Meteorology, Graduate School, University of Science and Technology of China, Beijing.
- B. S. (Equivalent) (1966), Physical Oceanography, Ocean University of Qingdao, China.
- Jul. 1992 - Present: Professor, Meteorology, University of Hawaii.
- Jul. 1989 - June 1992: Associate professor, Meteorology, University of Hawaii.
- Jan. 1987 - Jun. 1989: Assistant Professor, Meteorology, University of Hawaii.
- Jan. 1988 - present: Senior Fellow, JIMAR, NOAA/UH.
- Nov. 1984 - Dec. 1986: Visiting Scientist, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Program, Princeton University.
- Aug. 1984- Nov. 1984: Research Associate, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Institute, Florida State University.
- May 1981 - Aug. 1984: Research Assistant, Meteorology and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Institute, Florida State University.
- Oct. 1978 - Apr. 1981: Assistant Researcher, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China.
- Sept. 1975 - Sept. 1978: Visiting Lecturer, Physical Oceanography and Marine Meteorology, Ocean University of Qingdao, China.
- Sept. 1967 - Aug. 1975: Meteorologist, Weather Bureau of Shandong Province, China.
- Keynote Speech/Invited Lecture:
- CLIVAR Asian-Australian monsoon Workship (98), St. Michael Maryland, USA
- WMO Commission for Atmospheric Sciences XII session (98), Skopje, Macedonia
- International Symposium on Tropical Cyclone(96), Melbourne, Australia
- International Workshop on Climate System of Monsoon Asia (96), Kyoto, Japan
- International Symposium on Atmospheric Circulation and Global Change (96), Beijing, China
- IUGG/IAPSO XXI General Assembly (95), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
- International Symposium on Earth Environment (95), Pusan, Korea
- Editorial Boards
- Acta Meteorologica Sinica
- Trends in Atmospheric Sciences
- Chinese J. Atmospheric Sciences
- Guest Professor
- Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences
- National Climate Center of China
- First Institute of Oceanography/State Oceanographic Administration of China
- Ocean University of Qingdao
Primary areas of research are Climate Dynamics, Tropical Meteorology, Large-scale Atmosphere and Ocean Dynamics, and Air-Sea Interaction. Since 1985, 67 refereed papers (including four in review process) and 62 conference papers have been published.
Publication before 1985 includes 8 referred papers, 2 textbooks, and 2 translated books.
CURRENT RESEARCH GRANTS
- P.I., NOAA: The role of Asian-Australian Monsoons in season-to interannual climate variability of the Indian and Pacific Ocean sector: A proposal to establish the
Klaus Wyrtki center for climate research and prediction.
(with R. Lukas, B. Qiu, F.-F. Jin).
Sept. 1997 - Aug. 1999, $500,000.
- P.I., NSF: Dynamics of the coupled warm pool system, Jan. 1997 - Dec 1999, $370,000.
- P.I.,NOAA/PACS: Physical porcesses determining the annual cycle of the cold tongue/ITCZ complex. May 1997 - April 2000, $300,000.
- P.I., NOAA/GOALS: Impacts of Asian-Australian Monsoon on ENSO. May 1997-April 2000, $255,000.
- P.I., ONR: Tropical Cyclone-Ocean interaction and impacts on motion and intensity, Jan. 1998 - Dec. 1999. $215,000.
C. TEACHING AT THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII (1987 - PRESENT)
GRADUATE STUDENT SUPERVISION
- Major professor to 10 active graduate students
- Major professor to 10 students that graduated (1988-present)
- Served on 12 Ph. D. committees and 12 M. S. committees in the last ten years.
POSTDOCTAL FELLOWS AND VISITING SCHOLARS SPONSORED
D. PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND SERVICES (1987-PRESENT)
COMMITTEES AND APPOINTMENTS
- 1999-present: Steering committee for
International Pacific Research Center (IPRC)
- 1998-present: Chair, Faculty Selection Committee for IPRC
- 1997-present: Chair, UH Selection Committee for research scientists at IPRC
- 1997-present: Chair, Specification Committee, IPRC
- 1997-present: Project Director,
Wyrtki Center for Climate Research and Prediction (WCCRP) , UH
- 1990-1995: Member of TOGA COARE Sub-Scientific Working Group on Atmospheric Circulation and Waves.
- 1988-1994 Scientific Council member, Equatorial Pacific Climate Studies (EPOCS)/NOAA.
SESSION CHAIR, CONVENER, ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, RAPPORTEUR
- Session Chair, Fourth AMIP GCM simulation of East Asian Climate, Nov. 1998, Taipei
- International symposium on Asian Monsoon Variation, Sept. 1998, Sian, China
- WMO/International workshop on tropical cyclones, April 1998, Haikou, China
- CLIVAR/Asian-Australian Monsoon Panel Meeting, April 20-23, 1998, Kyengju, Korea
- International Workshop on the Climate System of Monsoon Asia, Dec 3-7, 1996, Kyoto, Japan
- International Symposium on Atmospheric Circulation and Global Change, Aug 8-13, 1996, Beijing, China
- AMS Symposium on Global Ocean-Atmosphere-Land System, 28 Jan-2 Feb 1996, Atlanta
- XXI General Assembly, International Association for the Physical Science of the Ocean, Aug. 5-12, 1995, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Fifth International Colloquium on Global Changes in Asia and Pacific Region, Aug 8-10 1994, Beijing, China
- 18th Conference of Hurricane and Tropical Meteorology, May 16-19, 1989, San Diego
- Served as referees for 17 professional journals:
- Reviewing proposals for NSF, NOAA, NASA, DOE, ONR, FRD.
SERVICES AT UH
- Chair, Department Personnel Committee, Dept. of Meteorology, 1997-1998
- Graduate Chair, Meteorology Program, UH, 1993-1997
- Graduate Council Member, University of Hawaii, 1993-1997
- Research Council, School of Ocean and earth Science and Technology, UH, 1996-present
- Chair, Department Personnel Committee, Dept. of Meteorology, 1990-1993
- Council member of JIMAR UH/NOAA, 1988-present
- UH Tenure and Promotion Recommendation Committee member, 1991, 1995
- SOEST/UH Computing Committee, 1990
- SOEST Searching Committee for Climate Modeler, 1992-93.
- Associate Director of the Meteorology and Physical Oceanography division, SOEST, 1991
- Chair, Graduate Curriculum and Examination Committee, Dept. of Meteorology, 1989-1990
- HIG Space Committee, 1993