SOEST adheres to the UH network policy and the following SOEST policies.
The UH network policy can be found at UH IT Policy.
Other UH policies followed by SOEST can be found at SOEST Associate Dean.
Explanation of categories for SOEST IP assignment SOEST Network Fee Categories.
SOEST Network Policies (Revised Feb 11, 2011)
The $400 yearly fee which is applicable to all UNIX based computers, Windows, Linux and Macs on the SOEST network, covers the following services:
(This fee is not optional and cannot be reduced because one or more of these items are not used)
- The use of one IP address assigned and regulated by RCF.
- Network connectivity including troubleshooting and support to the SOEST and UH network including the Internet.
- Necessary supplies, equipment and maintenance to support the SOEST network
- Necessary time, equipment and software to provide a high level of security for the SOEST network.
- Setup and support for network and local printer access (Does not including hardware maintenance)
- SOEST email setup and support
- SOEST FTP services
- SOEST web server and web page storage
- Personal disk usage on SOEST servers,
- Home Directories < 3GB
- Incoming mail on mail server < 250MB
- Software available free of charge when paying network fee for valid SOEST IP: EndNote(Windows/Mac only), ENVI/IDL, Fledermaus, Matlab.
All other types of support, system and application installations, hardware installations and troubleshooting are subject to an additional charge of $90/hour.
Support is available over the phone, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and on the web.
RCF asks that users first call or send email stating the problem or request. RCF wil try to answer all requests in a timely manner.
RCF will try to answer all requests in a timely manner. You can see our FAQ's here. The website is updated as time allows. If required, RCF will come down and offer on-site support.
It is the sole discretion of RCF whether the support requested is chargeable.
If the work is chargeable, this will be clearly stated and agreed upon before initating work.
Please note, RCF is not intentionally doing anything to damage users' hardware or software configurations, however, RCF cannot be held responsible if damage or data loss does occur, which may be a result of suggestions given in an attempt to resolve technical problems.
- No telnet/rlogin/r services from outside into SOEST
- No personal webservers accessible outside of SOEST
- No personal mail servers
- No LPD from outside to inside printers
- Email size max limit = 25MB
- No NetBIOS traffic from outside into SOEST
- New installation/reinstall of Linux must be verified by RCF
- Network connection fee = $400/year billed at $100/quarter
- Effective July 1st, 2009. A maintenance fee will be charged to all users of the POST 31 and HIG 319 data centers.
The minimum cost per rack is $600 per year which includes one 5.7 KW circuit.
Users requiring additional circuits will be charged $600 each per additional circuit per rack.
This charge will be billed quarterly in addition to your IP network fee.
- Systems Analyst/Software Development = $90/hr
- Engineering Services = $90/hr