Frequently Asked Questions
For network information of UH outside SOEST, go to the UH Information Technology Services
- Can my SOEST username be different from my UH username?
- Can my SOEST password be different from my UH password?
- What's a mailing list?
- What are the available SOEST listserver mail lists?
- email@example.com - SOEST weekly bulletin distribution
- firstname.lastname@example.org - SOEST announcement list
- For more information about the listserver, send an email to email@example.com with the word "help" in the body of the message.
- I would like an IP address but it's only going to be for ___ days. Will I still be charged?
- As long as the IP becomes cancelled before the quarterly billing you won't be charged.
- I need a SOEST account but I don't have a UH account yet.
- A UH account is necessary before creating a SOEST account for you.
- I am leaving SOEST soon but I would like to keep my SOEST account with its email.
- Contact us and we can arrange that for you.
- I forgot my password.
- Contact us and we will reset it for you.
- Where can I borrow Matlab/Endnote/Fledermaus?
- You can come by our office in POST820 where you can sign out and borrow any necessary devices/software.
- I tried logging in / changing my password to my SOEST account but it's locked / disabled.
- This means you haven't changed your password after a 1 weeks notice of it being reset.
This is to prevent security risks. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us to re-enable your account for you.
Frequent Computer Problems
- My mail isn't loading.
- Remember that you have a mail limit of 2 GB. If you go past the limit it makes it difficult for us
to recover your email.
- My email client is slow.
- The more mail you have, the longer it'll take for your client to load.
Try and delete unnecessary emails and empty your trashbin.
If that doesn't work, see if it's your computer in general that's slow.
- I can't remotely connect with VNC past the SOEST network.
- Our firewall blocks VNC connections through it's standard port.
The workaround is to change the port to something else.
- My computer doesn't turn on.
- Check the plug to make sure there's a solid connection. If it's plugged into a surge protector or power supply,
make sure that the device it's plugged into is powered on.
- I can't access the internet
- If your ethernet (network) cable is attached to a switch or router, make sure that it's on and
check the blinking light patterns on the device so you know the router or switch is working as intended.
- I'm having troubles with my router
- We don't support any devices behind routers. By paying for an IP address on our network,
you are supposed to only have one computer per IP address you are paying for.
- My UPS is beeping
- This most likely means your UPS needs a new battery.