Digital PIBHMC Data Catalog
*Note, the catalogs may not list all data at different times due to many updates.
PIBHMC Work Practices
All of these documents are in PDF format unless otherwise noted.
- Exploring the use of a towed video camera as a tool for assessing fish-habitat associations., Donham, E. 2010.
- Developing the SeaBED AUV as a Tool for Conducting Routine Surveys of Fish and thier Habitat in the Pacific Clarke M.E., Whitmire C, Fruh E, Anderson J, Rooney J, Taylor J, Singh H . 2010 (1 MB PDF)
- Surface Areas and Ratios from Elevation Grids, v 1.2, Jenness, 2003.
- Lundblad et al., 2006, A benthic terrain classification scheme for American Samoa, Marine Geodesy, 29(2):89 - 111.
- Bathymetric Position Index Technique, Lundblad Thesis, 2004.
- Predicted Seafloor Facies of Central Santa Monica Bay, California, Dartnell, P. and Gardner, J., USGS Open-File Report 2004-1081, 2004.
- Predicting Seafloor Facies from Multibeam Bathymetry and Backscatter Data, Dartnell, P. and Gardner, J.V., Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. Vol. 70, No.9, pp 1081-1091, 2004.
- Mesophotic coral ecosystems - potential candidates
as essential fish habitat and habitat areas of particular
concern. Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center Administrative Report
H-13-02, 53 p. , Blyth-Skyrme VJ, Rooney JJ, Parrish FA, Boland RC 2013. New
- Coral Reef Conservation Program(CRCP) Mapping Achievements and Unmet Needs, Miller, J; Battista, T., Pritchett, A; Rohmann, S; Rooney, J 2011.
- Hydrographic Survey W00158 Atlantic Hydrographic Branch Acceptance Letter, Miller J., Eggleston, S. 2011.
- Current Application and Future Needs of Seabed Mapping Program., Blyth-Skyrme, V.. 2011.
- Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems in the Hawaiian Archipelago Rooney J, Donham E, Montogmery A, Spalding H, Parrish F, Boland R, Fenner D, Gove J, Vetter O. 2010 (1 MB PDF)
- Mesophotic Communities of the Insular Shelf at Tutuila, American Samoa Bare A, Grimshaw K, Rooney J, Sabater M, Fenner D, Carroll B 2010. (1 MB PDF)
- Geomorphology of Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems: Current Perspectives on Morp... Locker S, Armstrong R, Battista T, Rooney J, Sherman C, Zawada D 2010. (2 MB PDF)
- NWHI Joint Symposium Presentation: Groundtruthing variations in backscatter intensity.... Weiss J, Rooney J, Chojnacki J,Grimshaw K, Miller J, Ferguson S 2008. (91 MB PPS)
- Geology and Geomorpholgy of Coral Reefs of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Rooney
J, Wessel P, Hoeke R, Weiss J, Baker J, Parrish F, Fletcher CH,
Chojnacki J, Garcia M, Brainard R, Vroom P. 2008. (3.04 MB PDF)
- Coral Reef Mapping in the U.S.-Affiliated Pacific IslandsEEZ Information from Coral Research. Miller, Joyce E.
2008. (10.4 MB PPT)
Characterization using multibeam, backscatter, and optical data at
French Frigate Shoals, Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Weiss, Johnathan, Joyce E. Miller, and John Ronney.
2008. (6.88 MB PDF)
- Remote Sensing of Shallow Water Bathymetry for Integration with Multibeam SONAR Data. Hochberg, Eric J., Susan Vogt, Joyce E. Miller, and Kyle Hogrefe. 2007. (poster, 35 MB PDF)
on back-arc crustal accretion: insights from the Lau, Manus, and
Mariana basins, in Intra-oceanic subduction systems: tectonic and
magmatic processes. Martinez, F., and B. Taylor 2003, edited by R.D. Larter and P.T. Leat, pp. 19-54, Geological Society, London.(17 MB PDF)
- Shallow Seafloor Mapping in the Mariana Archipelago for Coral Reef Ecosystem Research. Weiss et al. Joint NSF-MARGINS and IFREE Workshop: Subduction Factory Studies in the Izu-Bonin-Mariana Arc System: Results and Future Plans, November 2007. (poster, 2.1 MB PDF)
- Seafloor Characterization Using Multibeam and Optical Data at French Frigate Shoals, Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Weiss et al. 11th International Coral Reef Symposium, Abstract submitted Nov 2007. (22 KB DOC)
- (Password Protected) Main Hawaiian Islands Collection: Multibeam Bathymetry, Backscatter, and Optical Validation Maps. v.1, 2007. (67 MB PDF)
- Northwest Hawaiian Islands Collection: Multibeam Bathymetry, Backscatter, and Optical Validation Maps. v.1, 2007. (102 MB PDF)
- The Geomorphology, Habitats, and Mapping of the Hawaiian Archipelago. Miller and Rooney. Hawaii Association for Marine Education and Research (HAMER) Meeting, August 2007. (12 MB Powerpoint)
- MARAMP 2007 Preliminary Results: DRAFT Bathymetric Maps. June 2007. (11 MB PDF)
- Mariana Islands Collection: Multibeam Bathymetry and Backscatter Maps. v.1, 2007. (103 MB PDF)
- American Samoa Collection: Multibeam Bathymetry and Backscatter Maps. 2006. (86 MB PDF)
- Wet DEMs - Lessons Learned Working with Bathymetric Data in the Hawaiian Islands. Lundblad and Breman. ESRI Regional Users Group Meeting 2007. (15 MB PowerPoint)
- The Predictive Accuracy of Shoreline Change Rate Methods and Alongshore Beach Variation on Maui, Hawaii.
Genz et al. Journal of Coastal Research, January 2007. (3 MB PDF)
- GIS Day 2006 (Kona, Hawaii) Lundblad. November 2006.(12.2 MB PowerPoint)
- Bathymetric and 3-D Maps of the U.S. Pacific Remote Islands: Collaborative Mapping in the Pacific.
Miller et al. (17.7 MB PowerPoint)
- So Much Ocean, So Little Time: Optical Validation of Essential Fish Habitat in the Pacific Islands Region.
Rooney. NMFS, August 2006. (4 MB PDF)
- Multibeam Bathymetry and Backscatter Products for Benthic Habitat Mapping — There’s No Silver Bullet.
Miller. NMFS, August 2006. (14.8 MB Powerpoint)
- NOAA Seafloor Mapping and Characterization in the Hawaiian Archipelago.
Miller et al. Oceans 2006. (poster, 31.8 MB PDF)
- The Influence of Wave Energy on Spatial Variation in Coral Reef
Morphology: Midway Atoll. Chojnacki et al. Oceans 2006. (poster, 7.4 MB PDF)
- Seafloor Characterization using High-Resolution Multibeam Bathymetry and
Backscatter at French Frigate Shoals, Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Weiss et al. Oceans 2006. (7 MB PDF)
- Benthic Habitat Mapping to Meet Management Needs: A Case Study from
Saipan, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Rooney et al. Oceans 2006. (6.4 MB PDF)
Paciic Island Coral Reef Ecosystems with Multibeam and Optical Surveys:
Introducing the Benthic Terrain Modeler to Automate Terrain
Lundblad et al. Coastal GeoTools 2005. (4.7 MB PDF)
- Collaborative Nautical Charting and Scientific Seabed Mapping Missions: A Case Study
in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Evans et al. Sea Technology, June 2004. (0.8 MB PDF)
- Seafloor Texture Analysis of Saipan Anchorage Bathymetry using LocalFourier Histogram (LFH) Texture Features. G. R. Cutter Jr. October 2004. (13.4 MB PDF)
- A Time/Effort Comparison of Automatic and Manual Bathymetric Processing in Real-Time Mode. Calder, B. and S. Smith, Proceedings of the US Hydrographic Conference 2003. (2.5 MB PDF)
- Pacific Moderate Depth Mapping Implementation Plan, 2003. (10.3 MB PDF)