For a breakdown of costs associated with attending our graduate programs, visit the UH Manoa Graduate Division website.
Effective Fall 2020, graduate students from WICHE (Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education) states will pay 1.5 times the resident tuition rate (instead of non-resident rates).
Financial support is available through graduate assistantships (research and teaching) and internships. Assistantships and internships include tuition waivers and subsidized fringe benefits. Research projects provide financial support to graduate assistants while providing them with the opportunity to participate in engineering studies and familiarize themselves with theoretical, numerical, and experimental methods. A number of local engineering firms sponsor ORE internships and provide practical training at their sites. Further details (and the assistantship application) are available on the ORE admissions page.
Depending upon background/skills, we usually offer students opportunities to participate in a wide range of studies covering theoretical, numerical and/or experimental research.
Financial support may be available in the form of graduate assistantships, which include tuition waivers and a subsidized fringe benefit package. In addition, the University of Hawai’i sometimes has scholarships available.
Finally, graduate scholarships and fellowships are regularly offered to qualified candidates by a number of organizations, some of which is listed below:
- ASEE links: http://www.asee.org/fellowship-programs/graduate
- East-West Center: http://www.eastwestcenter.org/scholarships-fellowships
- IEEE OES: http://www.oceanicengineering.org/page.cfm/cat/81/OES-StudentScholarship-Program/
- Link: http://www.linkenergy.org/
- MTS: https://www.mtsociety.org/education/scholarships.aspx
- NSF: http://www.nsfgrfp.org/
- ONR: http://www.onr.navy.mil/en/Education-Outreach/undergraduate-graduate/NDSEG-graduate-fellowship.aspx
- SNAME: http://www.sname.org/directories/programsresources/scholarships/
- UH financial aid: http://www.hawaii.edu/fas/
- Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship: https://smart.asee.org/
- SOEST web listing of National Scholarship Opportunities: https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/soestwp/education/graduate/financial-support/
Most PhD students in the Department are supported by graduate assistantships throughout their study, while MS students engaged in the Plan A thesis option usually receive support after the first year of coursework. Details and assistantship application forms are available on the ORE Admission Link.