- Mailing address:
Holmes Hall 402, 2540 Dole Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822-2303, USA
- Office location:
POST 105G, 1680 East-West Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822 USA
Ocean Observing and Technology; Sensor networks including fixed and mobile platforms with power, communication, and navigation; Science Monitoring And Reliable Telecommunications (SMART) Subsea Cables; Ocean Observatories, Smart Subsea Power Grids; Ocean Acoustic Tomography and Acoustic Thermometry; Long range acoustic geo-positioning; Earthquake and Tsunami Early Warning; Ocean Sound; Atmospheric and Ionospheric Tomography
- Professional Preparation
- Teaching (under construction)
- Scientific Expeditions
- Selected Publications
- Sponsored Research
- Professional Service and Affiliations
- Selected Synergistic Activities
- Collaborators and Other Affiliations
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Advisors
- Thesis Advisor and Postgraduate-Scholar Sponsor
- Grants and Contracts
- Ph.D. in Oceanography, Ocean Acoustic Tomography, University of California, San Diego, 1986
- M.Sc. in Engineering Science, Fluid Dynamics, Stanford University, 1978
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, Fluid Mechanics, Stanford University, 1978
- University of Hawaii
Ocean and Resources Engineering Department, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology
2008 – Research Professor
- University of Washington
Applied Physics Laboratory, College of Ocean and Fishery Sciences
2008 – Affiliate Principal Oceanographer
1998 – 2008 Principal Oceanographer; 1992 Senior Oceanographer; 1987 Oceanographer
School of Oceanography, College of Ocean and Fishery Sciences
2008 – Affiliate Professor
1994 – 2008 Research Associate Professor; 1988 Research Assistant Professor
Department of Electrical Engineering, College of Engineering
2008 – Affiliate Professor
2005 – 2008 Adjunct Research Associate Professor
- University of California, San Diego
1986 – 1987 Postgraduate Researcher, Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
1981 – 1986 Research Assistant, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Universität Karlsruhe
1979 – 1981 Research Associate, Institut für Hydromechanik
- Stanford University
1976 – 1979 Research Assistant, Department of Civil Engineering
- Participant in 47 expeditions with 547 days spent in the field, either at sea or on land supporting an experiment. Chief scientist on 25 occasions. Use of DSV SeaCliff, ROV-ATV, ROV-Jason-2, ROV-Lu‘ukai and R/P Flip; cable laying using USNS Albert J. Myer and M/V Independence for ATOC source installations. (Click here for the PDF version of the fieldwork.)
Rowe, C. A, B. M. Howe, M. J. Fouch, M. Angove, J. Aucan, C. R. Barnes, N. Bayliff, N. C. Becker, F. Carrilho, B. Fry, H. A. Janiszewski, A. Jamelot, L. S. L. Kong, S. T. Lentz, D. S. Luther, G. Marinaro, L. Matias, A. Salaree, A. E. Sakya, T. Thiele, F. Tilmann, C. von Hildebrandt-Andrade, L. M. Wallace, S. Weinstein, W. S. D. Wilcock, J. Barros, SMART Cables Observing the Oceans and Earth, Marine Technology Society, 2022, Vol.56 (5), p.13-25.
Graupe, C., L. J. Van Uffelen, P. F. Worcester, M. A. Dzieciuch, and B. M. Howe, An automated framework for long-range acoustic positioning of autonomous underwater vehicles, J. Acous. Soc. Am, 152,3, pp 1615-1626, September 2022.
Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), Howe contributor, Shaping Our Digital Future: Asia-Pacific Digital Transformation Report, https://www.unescap.org/kp/2022/asia-pacific-digital-transformation-report-2022-shaping-our-digital-future, 2022.
Smith, L. M., L. Cimoli, D. LaScala-Gruenewald, M. Pachiadaki, B. Brennan, H. Pillar, J. E. Stopa, S. Baumann-Pickering, S. E. Beaulieu, K. L. C. Bell, H. Harden-Davies, K. M. Gjerde, P. Heimbach, B. Howe, F. Janssen, L. A. Levin, H. A. Ruhl, A. Soule, K. Stocks, M. F. Vardaro, D. J. Wright. The Deep Ocean Observing Strategy: Addressing Global Challenges in the Deep Sea Through Collaboration. Marine Tech. Soc. J., pp. 50-66, 2022. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4031/MTSJ.56.3.11
IOC-UNESCO. State of the Ocean Report 2022, pilot edition. Paris, IOC-UNESCO. (IOC Technical Series, 173). https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000381921. 2022.
Howe, B. M., M. Angove, J. Aucan, C. R. Barnes, J. Barros, N. Bayliff, N. C. Becker, F. Carrilho, M. Fouch, B. Fry, A. Jamelot, H. Janiszeweski, L. S. L. Kong, S. Lentz, D. S. Luther, G. Marinaro, L. M. Matias, C. A. Rowe, A. Salaree, A. E. Sakya, T. Thiele, F. J. Tilmann, C. von Hillebrandt-Andrade, L. Wallace, S. A. Weinstein, W. Wilcock. SMART Subsea Cables for Observing the Earth and Ocean, Mitigating Environmental Hazards, and supporting the Blue Economy. Front. Earth Sci. 9:775544. doi: 10.3389/feart.2021.775544, 2022.
Salaree, A., B. M. Howe, Y. Huang, S. Weinstein, A. E. Sakya, A numerical study of SMART Cables potential in marine hazard early warning for the Sumatra and Java regions, Pure Appl. Geophys.https://doi.org/10.1007/s00024-022-03004-0. 2022.
Sharma, S. K., B. M. Howe, A. K. Misra, M. R. Rognstad, J. N. Porter, T. E. Acosta-Maeda, and M. J. Egan, Underwater Time-Gated Standoff Raman Sensor for In Situ Chemical Sensing, Applied Spectroscopy, Appl Spectrosc. 2021 Mar 12:37028211001923. doi: 10.1177/00037028211001923, 2021.
Howe, B. M., B. Arbic. J. Aucan, C. Barnes, N. Bayliff, N. Becker, R. Butler, L. Doyle, S. Elipot, G. C. Johnson, F. Landerer, S. Lentz, D. Luther, J. Mariano, K. Panayotou, C. Rowe, R. Scholl, Y. T. Song, M. Thomas, P. Thomas, F. Tillman, T. Weber, S. Weinstein, The SMART Cables Joint Task Force, SMART Cables for Observing the Global Ocean: Science and Implementation, Frontiers in Marine Science, OceanObs’19 Special Issue, doi: 10.3389/fmars.2019.00424, 2019.
Howe, B. M., J. Miksis-Olds, E. Rehm, H. Sagen, P. F. Worcester, and G. Haralabus, Observing the Oceans Acoustically, Frontiers of Marine Science, OceanObs’19 Special Issue, doi: 10.3389/fmars.2019.00426, 2019.
Levin L. A., B. J. Bett, A. R. Gates, P. Heimbach, B. M. Howe, F. Janssen, A McCurdy, H. A. Ruhl, P. Snelgrove, K. I. Stocks, D. Bailey, S. Baumann-Pickering, C. Beaverson, M. C. Benfield, D. J. Booth, M. Carreiro-Silva, A. Colaço, M. C. Eblé, A. M. Fowler, K. M. Gjerde, D. O. B. Jones, K. Katsumata, D. Kelley, N. Le Bris, A. P. Leonardi, F. Lejzerowicz, P. I. Macreadie, D. McLean, F. Meitz, T. Morato, A. Netburn, J Pawlowski, C. R. Smith, S. Sun, H. Uchida, M. F. Vardaro, R. Venkatesan and R. A. Weller, Global Observing Needs in the Deep Ocean. Front. Mar. Sci. 6:241. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2019.00241, 2019.
Taniguchi, N., Huang, C.-F., Arai, M., & Howe, B. M., Variation of residual current in the Seto Inland Sea driven by sea level difference between the Bungo and Kii Channels. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 123, 2921–2933. https://doi.org/10.1029/ 2017JC013618, 2018.
Oswald, J. N., H. Ou, W. W. L. Au, Howe, B. M., and F. Duennebier, Listening for whales at the Station ALOHA Cabled Observatory, Listening in the Ocean, M. Lammers and W. Au. Springer Science+Business Media. New York, DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4939-3176-7_9, 2016.
Zhang, C., A. Kaneko, X.-H. Zhu, Howe, B. M., and N. Gohda, Acoustic measurement of the net transport through the Seto Inland Sea, Acoust. Sci. Tech., 37, doi:10.1250/ast.37.10, 2016.
Alford, M. A., T. McGinnis, and Howe, B. M., An inductive charging and real-time communications system for profiling moorings, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technology, doi:10.1175/JTECH-D-15-0103.1, 2015.
Van Uffelen, L.J., Howe, B. M.,, E.M. Nosal, G.S. Carter, P.F. Worcester, and M.A. Dzieciuch, Localization and subsurface position error estimation of gliders using broadband acoustic signals at long range, IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., doi: 10.1109/JOE.2015.2479016, 2015.
Howe, B. M., F. K. Duennebier, R. Lukas, The ALOHA Cabled Observatory, in Seafloor Observatories: A new vision of the Earth from the Abyss, Eds. P. Favali, L. Beranzoli and A. De Santis, Springer-Praxis Publishing, pp. 439-463, DOI: I10.1007/978-3-642-11374-1, 2015.
Moore, S. E., B. M. Howe, K. M. Stafford, and M. L. Boyd, Including whale call detection in standard ocean measurements: applications of acoustic Seagliders, J. Marine Technology Society, 41, 53-57, 2008.
Howe, B. M., and T. Chereskin, Oceanographic Measurements, Springer Handbook of Experimental Measurements, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Chapter 18, pp 1179-1217, DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-30299-5_18, 2007.
Howe B. M., and J. H. Miller, Acoustic sensing for ocean research, J. Mar. Tech. Soc., 38, 144–154, 2004.
Andrew, R. K., B. M. Howe, J. A. Mercer, and M. A. Dzieciuch, Ocean ambient sound: Comparing the 1960s with the 1990s for a receiver off the California coast, Acoust. Res. Lett. On-line, 3(2), 65–70, 2002.
Dushaw, B. D. et al., Observing the ocean in the 2000’s: A strategy for the role of acoustic tomography in ocean climate observation, Proceedings of the First International Conference on the Ocean Observing System, San Rafael, France, 18-22 October 1999, in: Observing the Oceans in the 21st Century, C.J. Koblinsky and N.R. Smith (eds), Bureau of Meteorology, Melbourne, Australia, 2001.
Howe, B. M., H. Kirkham, and V. Vorpérian, Power system considerations for undersea observatories, IEEE J. Oceanic Engr., 27, 267–274, 2002.
Delaney, J. R., G. R. Heath, A. D. Chave, B. M. Howe, and H. Kirkham, NEPTUNE: Real-time ocean and earth sciences at the scale of a tectonic plate, Oceanography, 13, 71–83, 2000.
Howe, B. M., K. Runciman, and J. A. Secan, Tomography of the ionosphere: Four-dimensional simulations, Radio Science, 33, 109–128, 1998.
ATOC Consortium: A. B. Baggeroer, T. G. Birdsall, C. Clark, J. A. Colosi, B. D. Cornuelle, D. Costa, B. D. Dushaw, M. Dzieciuch, A. M. G. Forbes, C. Hill, B. M. Howe, J. Marshall, D. Menemenlis, J. A. Mercer, K. Metzger, W. Munk, R. C. Spindel, D. Stammer, P. F. Worcester, and C. Wunsch, Observing ocean climate change: Comparison of acoustic tomography, satellite altimetry, and modeling, Science, 281, 1327–1332, 1998.
ATOC Instrumentation Group: B. M. Howe, S. G. Anderson, A. Baggeroer, J. A. Colosi, K.R. Hardy, D. Horwitt, F. Karig, S. Leach, J. A. Mercer, K. Metzger, Jr., L. O. Olson, D. A. Peckham, D. A. Reddaway, R. R. Ryan, R. P. Stein, K. von der Heydt, J. D. Watson, S. L. Weslander, and P. F. Worcester, Instrumentation for the Acoustic Thermometry of Ocean Climate (ATOC) prototype Pacific Ocean array, Proc. Oceans ’95 MTS/IEEE, San Diego, California, 1483–1500, 1995.
See the complete publication list
Professional service and affiliations
International Committees and Related Activities
- 2008 – Member, International Ocean Network Committee
- 2006 – Member, PEGASO (Italian Seafloor Observatory) Advisory Committee
- 2005 Member, NEPTUNE Canada RFP Team
- 2004 – 2005 Organizer, The Role of Acoustic Measurements in Ocean Observatories, International Conference on Underwater Acoustic Measurements: Technologies and Results, Crete, June 2005
- 2003 – Member, Current Measurement Technology Committee, IEEE-OES
- 2003 Chair, NEPTUNE Pacific Northwest Workshop, Portland, April 2003.
- 2003 Invited participant, Scientific Uses of Undersea Cables and Related Technology, Tokyo
- 2003 – Co-Chair, Committee for Integrated Acoustics Systems for Ocean Observatories (IASOO), Acoustical Society of America
- 1999 Fellowship, Science and Technology Agency, Japan
- 1999 Chair, First Planning Meeting for Kuroshio Extension System Study, Seattle
- 1998 Invited participant, TYKKI Meeting, Tokyo
- 1997 – 2008 NEPTUNE planning and technical activities
- 1997 – 2002 Member, IUGG-SCOR Committee on Acoustic Monitoring of the Global Ocean
- 1992 – 2002 Member, IRIS Steering Committee on Scientific Use of Undersea Cables,
National Committees and Related Activities
- 2008 Member, Global-Coastal Scale Nodes/OOI Review Committee for Ocean Profilers
- 2005 – 2007 Vice-Chair, ORION Engineering Committee
- 2005 – 2008 Member, Acoustic Navigation and Communication in High-latitude Ocean Research (ANCHOR) steering committee
- 2004 – 2007 Chair, UNOLS Global Ship Class Science Mission Requirements Committee
- 2004 Member, NSF Sensors Review Panel
- 2003 Invited participant, Cabled Regional Observatory Workshop, San Francisco
- 2003 – 2004 Member of Program Committee, AGU Oceans Sciences 2004 Meeting,
- 2003 – Co-chair, ASA Committee
Integrated Acoustics Systems for Ocean Observatories
- 2002 – 2003 Chair of Steering Committee, NEPTUNE Pacific Northwest Science Workshop
- 2002 Invited participant, Scientific Cabled Observatories for Time Series Workshop, Norfolk
- 2002 Organized UW NEPTUNE workshop
- 2000 – 2010 Member, ASA Acoustical Oceanography Technical Committee
- 1997 Member, NASA Oceanography Review Panel
- 1997 Member, Organizing Committee, Ionospheric Determination and Specification Workshop, JPL, Pasadena
- 1991 – 1995 Chairman, ONR Committee, Tomographic Data in Ocean Models
Editorial or Reviewer Services
- Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
- Journal of Geophysical Research
- Geophysical Research Letters
- Journal of Marine Research
- Journal of Physical Oceanography
- Eos – Transactions of the American Geophysical Union
- Journal of the IEEE Ocean Engineering Society
- Marine Technology Society Journal
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Ocean Engineering
- Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
- Space Weather
- Radio Science
Membership in Professional Societies
- Acoustical Society of America
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Geophysical Union
- American Meteorological Society
- IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society
- The Oceanography Society (charter life member)
Invited Seminars and Presentations
- 2007 Invited speaker, University of Hawaii, SOEST
- 2006 Invited speaker, Arizona State University, ORION and NEPTUNE
- 2006 SoO Seminar, ORION Design and Implementation Workshop
- 2006 Invited Speaker, Annual AAAS Meeting, Hydroacoustics, Symposium on Global Detection of Nuclear Explosions
- 2005 Speaker, Ocean Observatories, UW School of Marine Affairs
- 2004 Speaker, UW Physical Oceanography Seminar, Ocean Observatory Planning and the ORION workshop
- 2003 Invited speaker, NEPTUNE and the NSF OOI, POGO-5 Meeting, Tokyo
- 2003 Annual Lecture, Marine Acoustic Society of Japan, Ocean Observatories and Acoustics, Tokyo
- 2002 JPL All-Lab Lecture, NEPTUNE
- 2002 Briefing, NEPTUNE, PMW181, SPAWAR, San Diego
- 2002 Briefing, NEPTUNE, Naval Facilities Engineering Systems Command
- 2002 Invited speaker, ONR Mooring Workshop, NEPTUNE, Seattle
- 2002 EE Seminar, NEPTUNE, UW
- 2001 Briefing, NEPTUNE and the Navy, N775, Pentagon
- 2001 APL Seminar, NEPTUNE, UW
- 2000 EE Seminar, NEPTUNE, UW
Selected Synergistic Activities
- 2008 – International Ocean Network Committee, Member,
- 2006 – 2008 Regional Scale Nodes, NSF Ocean Observatories Initiative, Project Scientist
- 2005 – 2007 ORION Engineering Committee, Member
- 2003 – Integrated Acoustics Systems for Ocean Observatories, Co-chair of ASA Committee
- 2003 – Current Measurement Technology Committee, Member
- 2000 – 2003 Acoustical Oceanography Technical Committee, ASA, Member
- 1997 – 2008 NEPTUNE planning and technical activities
- 1991 – 1995 Tomographic Data in Ocean Models, Chair of ONR Committee
Collaborators and Other Affiliations
- M. Alford (UW), P. Arabshahi (UW), R. Andrew (UW), A. Baptista (OHSU), E. Boss (UMaine), Y. Chao (JPL/UCLA), J. Delaney (UW), B. Dushaw (UW), M. Dzieciuch (SIO), J. Gobat (UW), A. Gray (JPL), R. Lukas (UH), D. Martin (UW), T. McGinnis (UW), J. Mercer (UW), S. Roy (UW)
Graduate and Postdoctoral Advisors
- MSc: Robert Street (Stanford).
- PhD: Walter Munk (SIO) and Peter Worcester (SIO).
- Postdoctoral: Peter Worcester (SIO)
Thesis Advisor and Postgraduate-Scholar Sponsor
- Graduate Students Advised Currently
Member, Committees for
Leonard Tracy UW, Electrical Engineering PhD 2007 –
Nathan Parrish UW, Electrical Engineering PhD 2007 –
- Graduate Students Advised in Past
Member, Committees for
Ting Chan UW, Electrical Engineering PhD 2007
Shuai Lu UW, Electrical Engineering PhD 2006
Kevin Schneider UW, Electrical Engineering PhD 2005
Aditya Upadhye UW, Electrical Engineering MSc 2003
Chris Walter UW, Geophysics PhD 1999
Christian Parker UW, Oceanography MSc 1998
Chair, Committees for
Michael Zarnetske UW, Oceanography MSc 2005
Keith Curtis UW, Oceanography MSc 1996
- Post-Doctoral Research Scientist Advising
Brian Dushaw 1992 – 1994