- The co-evolution of life, earth and biogeochemical cycles
- Weathering processes and Earth surface geochemical cycles
- Sources and biogeochemical cycling of metals in the ocean
- Metal stable isotopes in paleoceanography
- Biosignatures of the deep subsurface biosphere
- Seafloor hydrothermal systems
- Formation and significance of marine mineral deposits
- Analytical development and application of non-traditional stable isotopes
- Geological engineer (1998): Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Géologie de Nancy, France.
- M.S. (1998) Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine (DEA Geosciences), France. Advisor John Ludden.
- Ph.D. (2002) Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine (Thèse de 3eme cycle, Geosciences), France (with honors). Advisors John Ludden & Yves Fouquet.
- Postdoc (2002-2003) University of Cambridge, UK. Advisor Henry Elderfield.
- Postdoc (2003-2005) Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Advisor Katrina Edwards.
- H.D.R. (2014) University of Western Brittany / UBO
04/16 – present: Associate Professor, University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, Department of Oceanography, 1000 Pope Road, MSB 510 Honolulu, HI 96822.
05/11 – 07/16: Associate Scientist (Cadre de Recherche CIIA), Institut Français de Recherche pour l'Exploitation de la MER (IFREMER), Centre de Brest, 29280 Plouzané, France.
09/09 – 09/12: International Chair in Deep Sea Environment, Institut Universitaire Européen de la Mer (IUEM), Technopole Brest-Iroise, 29280 Plouzané, France.
05/09 – 05/11: Associate Scientist, Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), Woods Hole, MA 02543.
05/05 - 5/09: Assistant Scientist, Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), Woods Hole, MA 02543.
Fellowships & honors
(2003) Deep Ocean Exploration Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, WHOI; (2006 & 2008) Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Award for Innovative Research, WHOI; (2009) International Chair of the Europole Mer Fellowship Award, France; (2009) Max Planck Junior Group Leader Award, Bremen-Oldenburg, Germany (declined); (2011) Nominated member of the French National Council of Universities, Section 35; (2013) Editors' Citation for Excellence in Refereeing from Earth Planetary Sci. Letters .
Selected Invited Presentations
03/2015 University of Miami, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, USA 03/2015 University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA 01/2015 Washington University, Saint Louis, USA 06/2014 SOEST, Hawaii, USA 04/2014 Univ. of Montpellier, Geosciences Seminar, France 11/2012 IODP Workshop, Lisbon, Portugal 10/2012 SELEN2012 Workshop, KIT, Karlsruhe, Germany 09/2012 GEOTRACES Workshop, Metal Isotopes, Imperial College, London 05/2012 Goldschmidt conference, keynote, Montréal 05/2012 RCN-DEBI worksop, invited lecture, MARUM, Bremen 04/2012 IODP Journées Scientifiques, Paris 12/2010 Fall AGU meeting, invited talk, San Francisco 12/2010 LMTG Seminar, Toulouse, CNRS) 05/2009 Spring AGU – GACMAC, Toronto (2 invited talks) 04/2009 University of Manitoba, Winnipeg 12/2008 Marine Geochemistry Symposium, Max Plank Institute (Bremen) 11/2008 EGGS Seminar, Princeton University 2008 Goldschmidt conference (keynote), Vancouver 2008 Goldschmidt conference (invited talk), Vancouver .
Field work and Cruise Participation
- 07/14 - Aqueous Geochemist, Schmidt Ocean Institute, "The Iron Eaters of Loihi Seamount" (R/V Falkor) (Co-chief, B. Glazer chief scientist)
- 09/11-11/11: Petrologist, IODP, Leg 366 “North Pond - Mid-Atlantic Ridge Microbiology” (R/V Joides Resolution) 06/10: Geochemist, Cruise BIG (R/V Atalante, DSV Nautile), “Biodiversité et Interactions à Guaymas” (A. Godfroy, chief scientist).
- 09/09: Geochemist, Cruise KM0923 (R/V Kilo Moana, ROV Jason2), “FeMO 2009: Loihi Seamount” (H. Staudigel, chief scientist).
- 09/08: Geochemist, Cruise TN255 (R/V Thompson, ROV Jason2), “FeMO 2008: Loihi Seamount” (C. Moyer, chief scientist).
- 10/07: Geochemist, Cruise KM0719 (R/V Kilo Moana, ROV Jason2), “FeMO 2007: Loihi Seamount” (C. Moyer, chief scientist).
- 10/06: Geochemist, Cruise MGLN10MV (R/V Melville, ROV Jason2), “FeMO 2006: Loihi Seamount” (K. Edwards, chief scientist).
- 07/06: Geochemist, Cruise MGLN06 (R/V Melville, ROV Jason2), “Hydrothermal Systems in the Eastern Manus Basin” (M. Tivey, chief scientist).
- 11/04: Geochemist, Cruise AT11-20 (R/V Atlantis, AUV Alvin), “Ridge integrated studies at 9ºN East Pacific Rise” (M. Lilley, chief scientist).
- 05/01: Petrologist, Cruise IRIS (R/V Atalante, ROV Victor), "The Rainbow hydrothermal field (Mid-Atlantic Ridge)" (Y. Fouquet, chief scientist).
- 04/99: Petrologist, Ocean Drilling Program, Leg 185 (R/V Joides Resolution), "Drilling the Input to the Subduction Factory" (J. Ludden, T. Plank, co-chief scientists).
- 09/2009 – 09/2012: Europole Mer – International Chair in Deep Sea Environments (600 k€) “Biogeochemical cycling of metals in deep sea environments”
- 2011 – 2021: ANR-funded “LabexMER : A changing ocean". Coordinator of Axis 3 “Geobiological interactions in extreme environments” (1,100 k€)
- 2009-2012 PI of Marie Curie FP7-Reintegration-Grant, proposal N° 247837 – "ISOMAR: Biogeochemical Cycling of Iron Isotopes in Marine Environments" €75,000.
- 2011-2013 Co-PI with V. Dekov and Y. Fouquet of Marie Curie FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IEF, proposal N°253182 – “ISOBAB: Isotope constraints on the contribution of metal-rich magmatic fluids to back-arc seafloor hydrothermal systems”. 230.747€
- 2006-2009: PI of NSF-OCE Grant “Iron Isotope Systematics in Rivers and Estuaries: Processes controlling the fractionation between continental run-off and the oceans” (E. Sholkovitz, Co-I) $420,031.
- 2006-2009: PI of NSF-OCE grant “Collaborative Research: Multiple Sulfur Isotope Tracers of the Subsurface Biosphere in Oceanic Basement” (J. Alt and S. Ono, Co-I) $199,270.
- 2006-2008: Co-I of NSF-Ridge2000 grant “Collaborative Research: Hydrothermal fluxes and their impact on ocean biogeochemistry: An integrated pre- and post-eruption study at the EPR, 9-10N” (C. German, PI, K. Edwards Co-PI) $292,000.
- 2007-2008: Co-I of NSF- EAR/IF grant “Technician Support: The NEPTUNE multi-collector ICP-MS in the WHOI ICP Facility” (B. Peucker-Ehrbrink, PI; S. Hart, K. Sims, S. Thorrold Co-I) $89,343.
- 2009 - 2010: Co-PI of NSF – EAR grant “Collaborative Research: Environmental and Biogeochemical Reorganization During the Rise of Atmospheric Oxygen” $80,000.
- Co-I of IODP Proposal 677-Full “Microbiology of a Sediment Pond and the Underlying Young, Cold, Hydrologically Active Ridge Flank” K. Edwards (lead PI), W. Bach, G. Wheat, A. Teske, A. Schippers, J. Huber, S. D'hondt, H. Villinger, T. McCollom, V. Edgcomb, J. Bernhard, O. Rouxel.
- Co-I of IODP Proposal 818-Full "Gateway to the Sub-Arc Mantle: Volatile Flux, Metal Transport, and Conditions for Early Life" C. de Ronde (lead PI), W. Bach, R. Arculus, F. Barriga, F. Caratori-Tontini, K. Haase, R. Henley, S. Humphris, J. Ishibashi, S. Petersen, A. Reyes, A. Reysenbach, S. Robert, O. Rouxel, M. Schrenk, C. Timm, M. Tivey, M. Tivey, R. Wysoczanski, O. Ishizuka, P. Weis, M. Hannington, D. Teagle, K. Takai.
- Isotope Geochemistry
- Geological Oceanography
- Chemical Oceanographyn
- Global Geochemical Cycles
- Earth System History
- Mineral deposits and marine physical resources
- Analytical techniques in geochemistry
- Introduction to geobiology
Mentoring and Advising
- 2016-present: Oyvind Lundesgaard (comprehensive exam committee), Ph.D. candidate, UH-OCN
- 2016-present: Carleigh Vollbrecht (advisory committee), MSc. candidate, UH-OCN
- 2016-present: Lucie Knor (advisory committee), MSc. candidate, UH-OCN
- 2014-present: Guy Nathaniel Evans (advisory committee), Ph.D. candidate, MIT-WHOI JP
- 2015: Olabode Bankole (defense committee), Ph.D. candidate, Université de Poitiers, France
- 2014: Cyril Abadie (defense committee), Ph.D. candidate, Université de Toulouse, France
- 2014: Gabriel Dulaquais (defense committee), Ph.D. candidate, UUniversité de Brest, France
- 2014: Lauriss Ngombi-Pemba (defense committee), Ph.D. candidate, Université de Poitiers, France
- 2012: Rebecca Louise Parsons (defense committee), Ph.D. candidate, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2012: Kirsten Möller (defense committee), Ph.D. candidate, University of Bergen, Norway
- 2010: Gaelle Saunier (defense committee), Ph.D. candidate, Université de Toulouse, France
- 2003-2008: Paul Craddock (advisory & defense committee), Ph.D. candidate, MIT-WHOI JP
- Nolwenn Callac (Ph.D. 2013, University of Western Brittany / UBO, France), now at the University of Stockholm, Sweden.
- Bleuenn Gueguen (MSc.2010 & Ph.D. 2013, University of Western Brittany / UBO, France), now at the European Institute for Marine Studies (IUEM), France
- Raphaelle Escoube (Ph.D. 2011, University of Pau, France), now at the University of Bonn, Germany
M.Sc. thesis Advisees
- Isabelle Baconnais (M.S. 2014, University of Western Brittany / UBO, France), now at the University of saskatchewan, Canada
- Yohann Resnais (M.S. 2011, University of Western Brittany / UBO, France), now at the Commercial Academy, Rennes, France
- Helene Guenet (M.S. 2011, University of Western Brittany / UBO, France), now at the University of Rennes, France
- At the University of Western Brittany / UBO, France: Isabelle Baconnais (2013); Sonia Laigle (2011) Yohann Resnais (2010)
Trainees / visiting student
- Arjen Boosman (2015, Erasmus-sponsored student, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands)
- Jotautas J. Baronas (2015, InterRidge-sponsored student, Univ. Southern California, USA)
- Yann Beucher (2013, guest student, IUT Chimie de Rouen, France)
- Lasse Dossing (2009, guest student, Univ. Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Mou Montusi (2008, guest student, University of Florida)
- Elizabeth Boatman (2006, summer student fellow, Benoit College, USA)
- Noah Planavsky (2006, summer student fellow, Lawrence University, WI)
- Sarah Bennett (2006, student fellow, NOC, Southampton, UK)
Supervision of postdocs and visiting scientists
- Dr. Vesselin Dekov (2011-2013; Marie Curie Fellow, IFREMER)
- Dr. Stefan Lalonde (2011-2013; postdoc at UBO) now CNRS scientist at Univ. Brest
- Dr. Dan Asael (2010-2013; Postdoc, University of Brest)
- Dr. Noah Planavsky (2010; visiting postdoc from Caltech).
- Dr. Huawen Qi (2010; Guest Investigator from State Key Laboratory of Ore Deposit Geochemistry, Guiyang, China)
- Dr. Fanny Chever (2009-2011; Postdoc, University of Brest)
- Dr. Vesselin Dekov (2008; Guest Investigator, Univ. Sofia, Bulgaria)
- Dr. Yang Yaomin (2005; Guest Investigator from Key Laboratory of Marine Sedimentology and Environmental Geology, Qingdao, China).
Supervision of technical staff
- 09/07 – 01/11: Supervision of Maureen Wisch (Research Assistant III, WHOI)
- 07/11 – 07/12: Supervision of Yohann Resnais (Research Assistant, UEB)
Outreach and Community Service
University of Hawaii
2016 - present:
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
2005 - 2010: Steering Committee member of the WHOI Plasma Mass Spectrometer Facility
IFREMER - IUEM
- Coordinator of the research theme “Geobiological interactions in extreme environments” for the ANR-funded Labex MER program, involving 134 researchers with an overall budget of 11 M€ (2011 - 2015)
- Convenor of a summer school at IUEM-UBO and IFREMER, Plouzané (27-31 August 2012) sponsored by the Labex Mer (GEOCEAN: Geodynamic processes and biochemical interactions at seafloor spreading ridges).
- Founder and Chairman of the ANR-funded Labex Mer International postdoctoral program (2012-2013)
- Panel reviewer for NASA to select new Institutional Team Members of the NASA Astrobiology Institute (NAI) (Cooperative Agreement Notice CAN-5; 2006).
- Chair of review panel to select projects for NSF Science and Technology Center for Dark Energy Biosphere Investigations (2011)
- 2012 - 2014: Scientific Committee member appointed by the french ministry of ecology, sustainable development and energy leading to the publication of an open-source monograph: Dyment J., Lallier F., Le Bris N., Rouxel O., Sarradin P.-M., Lamare S., Coumert C., Morineaux M., Tourolle J., (2014) The environmental impacts of the exploitation of deep sea mineral resources. Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy / Department of the Commissioner-General for Sustainable Development / Directorate of Research and Innovation (Editors) . 930 p. (in french with extended summary in english).
- 2011 - 2015: Member of the CNU (french national council of universities), Section 35
- Steering Committee member of the Dark Energy Biosphere Institute Research Coordination Network (2010 - 2015)
- Co-organizer of symposia at the Goldschmidt 2005 and 2008 conferences.
- Co-organizer of a symposium at the Astrobiology 2006 meeting.
- Co-organizer of symposia at the EGU 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010 meetings, Vienna.
- Co-organizer of a symposium at ASLO- Aquatic Sciences Meeting, Honolulu
Media and Public Engagement
- Interviews for various media (including local TV News and National Newspaper)
- co-authoring articles for wider dissemination (e.g. InterRidge and IODP journal).
- public lectures at the Oceanopolis aquarium in Brest (e.g. lecture: “Metals in the Deep Sea”).
- Specialty Chief Editor of Frontiers in Earth Science, Marine Geoscience Section (since 2016)
- Member of the Editorial Board of Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research (2013-present)
- Review Editorial Board of Frontiers in Microbiological Chemistry, a specialty of Frontiers in Microbiology (since 2011)
- Member of the Editorial Board of Chemical Geology (2008-2016)
- Guest Co-Editor of a special volume in Chemical Geology (Elsevier) “Advances in experimental and theoretical isotope geochemistry”
- Ad-hoc reviewer of manuscripts submitted to: Applied Geochemistry - Biogeosciences - Chemical Geology - Comptes Rendus Acad. Sci. - Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. - Economic Geology - G-cubed - Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta. - Geobiology - Geological Magazine - Geology - Geostandard Newsletter - Geosphere - GSA Today - Int. J. Mass Spectrom. - Isotopes in Env. & Health Studies - J. Anal. Atom. Spectrom. - Marine Chemistry - Nature - Nature Geoscience - Nature Communications - Ore Geology Reviews - Paleoceanography - Plos One Rapid Comm. in Mass Spectrometry Science - Talanta
- Ad-hoc reviewer of book chapters published by the Mineralogical Society of America, Elsevier Science.
- Ad-hoc reviewer of proposals submitted to: National Science Foundation (NSF-USA); European Science Foundation; Petroleum Research Found; NASA; INSU France; Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR France).
Professional Associations / Affiliations
- Member American Geophysical Union (2003-present)
- Geochemical Society (2003-present)
- European Geoscience Union (2005-present)