Douglas S. Luther
|Department of Oceanography,
School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology,
University of Hawai'i at Manoa,
1000 Pope Road,
Marine Sciences Building,
Honolulu, HI 96822
|Phone: (808) 956-5875
Fax: (808) 956-9165
BSc 1973 - Geophysics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
BSc 1973 - Electrical Engineering, MIT
PhD 1980 - Oceanography, MIT/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Joint Program in Oceanography
- Tide Dynamics and Energy Flow
- Sources of Open Ocean Non-Linear Tides and Infragravity Waves (NSF Grant)
- Internal Tides
- Mixing in the Abyssal Ocean
- Empirical Parameterization of Topography-Catalyzed Diapycnal Mixing (Decloedt and Luther, 2010, 2012; Friedrich et al., 2011)
- Enhanced Diapycnal Mixing near the Hawaiian Ridge (Finnigan et al., 1997)
- Circulation and Energy Fluxes in the North Atlantic
- Antarctic Circumpolar Current (ACC) Dynamics and Fluxes
- Waves Trapped to Topography (e.g., Islands and Ridges)
- Atmospherically-Forced Mesoscale Variability
- Dynamics of Equatorial Circulation and Variability
- Long-Period Tides: Resonance vs Equilibrium (Miller et al., 1993)
Instruments and Methods
Observing System and Forecast Development
- Martin Guiles, Ph.D. 2009, "Energy Redistribution Through Tidal and Inertial Wave Interaction"
- Thomas Decloedt, Ph.D. 2009, "On the Spatial Distribution of Diapycnal Mixing in the Abyssal Ocean: An Empirical Study"
- Sherry Chou, M.S. 2013, "An Empirical Investigation of Energy Transfer from the M2 Tide to M2 Subharmonic Wave Motions in the Kauai Channel"
- Assaf Azouri, Ph.D. candidate, "Observations, Forecast, and Modeling of 0.5 - 200 Minute Infragravity Oscillations in Haleiwa Harbor Region, Hawai'i"
Go to the Physical Oceanography Div., Dept. of Oceanography, or SOEST Home Pages.
Last modified: March 2015