The Seabeam 3012 Phase 1 hybrid 12 kHz multibeam sonar bathymetric mapping system is installed aboard KOK. The Seabeam is capable of acoustically charting the seafloor peaks and valleys with complete high-resolution coverage to depths of 11,000 meters. A near real-time contour plot for the current swath is produced, and the digital data is recorded for later post-processing on the ship-board Linux workstation. Some applications of this technology are: hydrographic charting for hazards to navigation, search and recovery operations, submersible support, marine resource exploration, scientific research, and locations of seamounts as natural fish aggregation devices.
Seabird SBE 9/11plus CTD housing with pressure sensor, rated for 6,800m depth rating, equipped with:
- 2 Sea-Bird SBE 3P temperature sensors
- 2 Sea-Bird SBE 4C conductivity sensors
- 2 Sea-Bird SBE 43 dissolved oxygen sensors
- Other auxiliary sensors can be included by prior arrangement:
- Biospherical QSP-2300 log scalar PAR sensor (2,000 m depth rating),
- Wetlabs ECO FLNTU Chlorophyll Fluorometer & Turbidity sensor (6,000 m depth rating),
- Seapoint SCF Chlorophyll Fluorometer (6,000 m depth rating),
- Wetlabs C-Star 25 cm transmissometer (6,000 m depth rating),
- Applied Microsystems SVPlus sound velocity profiler (5,000 m depth rating).
- For casts being conducted near the sea bottom an altimeter or a 12 kHz acoustic pinger will be attached to the frame to monitor the package's height off the sea floor.
- Water samples can be collected with 12 L PVC sampling bottles with internal Teflon-coated springs. The bottles can be triggered at any depth with a Seabird SBE 32 carousel.
- 24-bottle and 12-bottle rosette frames are available.
An underway seawater system is installed, with a thermosalinograph and a bench top fluorometer.
At the end of the cruise, one copy of all the data is given to the chief scientist.
- ADCP: wh300
- GPS: Trimble GPS
- Gyro heading
- Wind speed and heading
- Thermosalinograph: SBE-21 temperature, SBE-21 conductivity, SBE-21 salinity, SBE-3 sea surface temperature