UPDATED Tuesday 28 July 2009: SOEST Contributions List, numbers 7000 to 7776 (covering 2007 to 2009) is available as a PDF. E-mail your requests for a
contribution number and any corrections/updates to May Izumi. SOEST Contributions List 4500-6765 (ca. 1997 to 2006) PDF is available here. See “Other Services” (below) for details.
- May Izumi (editor)
- Copy editing for correct punctuation, grammar, style, and format for specific journals/publications. Includes reference checking, review of figures and
tables for size, logical arrangement, and good reproducibility; turnaround in < 1–3 days depending on your deadline and our work load. Galley proofing
against manuscripts, same- or one-day turnaround. As time allows, we will support faculty who are scientific editors for journals or proceedings/publications
such as AGU monographs. Editing, compiling proceedings of workshops, seminars. Compile, desktop publish newsletters. Editorial services are usually free to
- Nancy Hulbirt (chief illustrator / graphic artist) • email@example.com
- Brooks Bays (web design and graphics / graphic artist) • firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graphic design: logos, brochure/book/poster design and layout. We can also handle all aspects of production of the final printed piece.
- Technical illustration: maps, charts, graphs, and equipment diagrams for publication in journals and books or as posters, overheads, or
slides for meetings.
- Web pages: clean, accessible pages.
- $44/hr for all services.
- We have some more samples of our work online. These illustrations and graphics were
mostly created in Adobe Illustrator (long may it wave), and rasterized in Photoshop.
- We will produce your material camera-ready (600 dpi printer) for journals, proceedings, and books; provide us with a diskette and guidelines from the
publisher. To print brochures, reports, or posters, we'll work with printers or graphic services, prepare specifications and get bids, communicate with printers
through whole process. After the original text or artwork is ready, whether prepared by us or not, we will assure that the material is of appropriate quality,
prepare printing specifications, consult with printers and photographic vendors or image setters, accept bids, generate purchasing documents, track and inspect
the work, then bill the customer. For outside services: their cost + our time getting bids, preparing copy @ $44/hr. In-house production (desktop publishing)
of camera-ready copy: $44/hr.
Other Services Available
- Publish the weekly online SOEST Bulletin, published
Thursday afternoon (deadline for announcements—please keep them brief—is noon Thursday). Contact May Izumi by e-mail or
FAX (808.956.2538) if you have anything for the Bulletin.
- Compile and maintain the online directory of
phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and office addresses. Please email changes and corrections to May at email@example.com.
- Compile and maintain the SOEST Publications List, including assigning SOEST contribution numbers. The
Publications List is updated regularly and accessible for your review. Download: Contribution numbers 4500 to 6765 (ca. 1997 to 2006) as a PDF; Contribution numbers 7000 to 7776 (covering 2007 to 2009) as a PDF.
- Assign SOEST contribution numbers. Well before a reviewed and accepted paper is in the galley proof stage, please
e-mail author(s) name, article title, and as much of the journal citation as you have, to May at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are
understaffed at the moment so please expect a minimum of two business days to respond to you with a contribution number, although we will try to
respond as soon as possible.
- Manage the self-service Canon color copier in POST 840, assign codes, bill for services, keep supplies and
maintenance current, periodically review and change rates to cover the costs. Currently $0.50 per copy, plus cost of transparencies ($0.30). It is the PI’s
responsibility to set up passwords for on-the-glass copying; get the access form, choose a numeric password of at least 8
characters, and send the form to Pubs, HIG 133. Network printing jobs are tracked automatically and billed monthly by the username.
- Manage SOEST's HP DesignJet 5500PS wide-format plotter/printer. To set up to print, follow the Research Computing Facility driver download instructions. The printer is located in POST 840. Prints are charged by the linear foot: bond paper is $4.00 per linear foot; glossy is $7.00 per linear foot; ink-only is $3.00 per linear foot. Log the details of your print job on the clipboard (default plot length is 8 ft). For jobs sent from Illustration machines add our time to consult (minimum charge $11.00), FTP files, and print @ $44/hr.
- Scanning text or images. We're set up in Illustration to scan from slides or reflective art work and put it onto CD, JAZ, or ZIP. Publications is set up to scan text, either for OCR or straight into MS Word or PDF, or from MS Word or LaTeX into pdf.
- Other: We will help as we can with word processing file conversion between systems or softwares, word processing, and desktop publishing problems in general: $44/hr.
The Pubs Gang
The SOEST Publication Services gang in April 2006: (from left to right) editor May Izumi, illustrator Nancy Hulbirt,
senior editor and project manager Diane Henderson (retired), and illustrator Brooks Bays.
For more information, call or email one of the people listed above or write to us at
- Publication Services
- School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology
- University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 2525 Correa Rd, HIG 133
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- TEL 808.956.9585 • FAX 808.956.2538
Return to the top of this page.