Research in Other Areas
Hey, R.N. and W.J. Morgan, Parallel seamount chains in the Northeast Pacific, Eos Trans. AGU, 52, 236, 1971.
Johnson, G.L., R.N. Hey, and A. Lowrie, Marine geology in the environs of Bouvet Island and the South Atlantic triple junction, Marine Geophys. Res., 2, 23-36, 1973.
- Sclater, J.G., C. Bowin, R.N. Hey, H. Hoskins, J. Peirce, J. Phillips, and C. Tapscott, The Bouvet triple junction, J. Geophys. Res., 81, 1857-1869, 1976.
- Vogt, P.R., A. Lowrie, D.R. Bracey, and R.N. Hey, Subduction of aseismic oceanic ridges: Effects on shape, seismicity and other characteristics of consuming plate boundaries, GSA Special Paper, 172, 59, 1976.
Hey, R.N. and H.W. Menard, Plate tectonics - 10 years after the revolution, Eos Trans. AGU, (organized and chaired symposium), 58, 511, 1977.
Hey, R.N. and P. Milholland, Stability of quadruple junctions, Nature, 277, 201-202, 1979.
Hey, R.N. and D.S. Wilson, (.mov) Propagating rifts - the motion picture, Eos Trans. AGU, 61, 1104-1105, 1980.
Wilson, D.S. and R.N. Hey, The Galapagos axial magnetic anomaly: Evidence for the Emperor event within the Brunhes and for a two-layer magnetic source, Geophys. Res. Lett., 8, 167-188, 1981.
Lowrie, A. and R.N. Hey, Geological and geophysical variations along the western margin of Chile near 33°S-36°S and their relation to Nazca plate subduction, Geol. Soc. Am. Memoir, 154, 741-754, 1981.
Hey, R.N., A speculative hypothesis for the evolution of the southern San Andreas transform fault system, Eos Trans. AGU, 64, 864-865, 1983.
Keating, B., et al. (including R.N. Hey), Field tests of SEASAT bathymetric detections, Marine Geophys. Res., 7, 69-71, 1984.
- EEZ-SCAN 84 Scientific Staff (inc. R.N. Hey), Atlas of the Exclusive Economic Zone, Western Conterminous United States: U.S. Geological Survey Miscellaneous Investigations, Series I-1792, scale 1:500,000, 152, 1986.
- Hey, R.N., H.W. Menard, T.M. Atwater, and D.W. Caress, Changes in direction of seafloor spreading revisited, J. Geophys. Res., 93, 2803-2811, 1988.
- Caress, D.W., H.W. Menard, and R.N. Hey, Eocene reorganization of the Pacific-Farallon spreading center north of the Mendocino Fracture Zone, J. Geophys. Res., 93, 2813-2838, 1988.
Hey, R.N., Plate tectonics: A 25th Anniversary Celebration, Eos Trans. AGU, 73, 56, 1992.
Fernandez, L.S. and R.N. Hey, Late Tertiary tectonic evolution of the seafloor spreading system off the coast of California between the Mendocino and Murray fracture zones, J. Geophys. Res., 96, 17955-17979, 1991.
- Grigg, R.W. and R.N. Hey, Paleoceanography of the tropical eastern Pacific Ocean, Science, 255, 172-178, 1992.
- Kleinrock, M.C., R.N. Hey, and A.E. Theberge, Practical geological comparison of some seafloor survey instruments, Geophys. Res. Lett., 19, 1407-1410, 1992.
- Auzende, J.-M., R.N. Hey, B. Pelletier, and Y. Lafoy, Propagation d'une zone d' accretion a l'est de la dorsale du bassin Nord Fidjien (SW Pacifique), C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, t. 317(Serie II), 671-678, 1993.
- Taylor, B., A. Goodliffe, F. Martinez, and R. Hey, Continental rifting and initial sea-floor spreading in the Woodlark basin, Nature, 374, 534-537, 1995.
- Auzende, J.-M., R.N. Hey, B. Pelletier, D. Rouland, Y. Lafoy, E. Gracia, and P. Huchon, Propagating rift west of the Fiji Archipelago (North Fiji Basin, SW Pacific), J. Geophys. Res., 100, 17823-17835, 1995.
- Hey, R.N., Speculative propagating rift-subduction zone interactions with possible consequences for continental margin evolution, Geology, v.26, 247-250, 1998.
- 1974 January–February: Africa-Antarctica spreading center survey near Bouvet Island, Cape Town-Cape Town, MIT/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, chief scientist C. Bowin, R/V CHAIN.
- 1974 February–March: South America-Africa-Antarctica triple junction survey, Cape Town-Cape Town, MIT/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, chief scientist J.G. Sclater, R/V CHAIN.
- 1974 October: Gulf of Mexico multichannel seismic survey, Veracruz-Galveston, University of Texas Marine Science Institute, Chief scientist J. Watkins, R/V IDA GREEN.
- ** 1975 March: student training cruise, Gulf of Mexico, Galveston-Galveston, University of Texas Marine Science Institute, chief scientist R.N. Hey, R/V IDA GREEN.
- 1976 February–March: Mariana trench IPOD site survey, Guam-Guam, Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, chief scientist D.M. Hussong, R/V KANA KEOKI.
- 1976 March: Mariana trench-Ontong Java plateau survey, Guam-Honiara, Guadalcanal, Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, chief scientist D.M. Hussong, R/V KANA KEOKI.
- 1976 April: Central Pacific basin transect, Honiara, Guadalcanal-Honolulu, Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, chief scientist S.R. Hammond, R/V KANA KEOKI.
- ** 1976 October: IPOD Pac #6 survey, Honolulu-Honolulu, Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, chief scientist R.N. Hey, R/V KANA KEOKI.
- 1980 October: Search for RUWS (remote unmanned work station) using ANGUS, Honolulu-Kona, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution/Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, chief scientist R.D. Ballard, R/V KANA KEOKI.
- 1982 June: Deep-Tow/Sea Beam test cruise, Continental Borderland, San Diego-San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, chief scientist F.N. Spiess, R/V THOMAS WASHINGTON.
- 1984 April–May: GLORIA survey of the Southern California Continental Borderland and Baja California Seamount Province within the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone between the Mexican border and Pt. Arguello, San Diego-Long Beach, USGS/British Institute for Oceanographic Sciences, chief scientist M. Field, MV FARNELLA.
- * 1984 July–August: Sea Beam investigation of large-scale changes in direction of seafloor spreading, Kodiak-Honolulu, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, chief scientist H.W. Menard, R/V THOMAS WASHINGTON.
- 1985–1986 December–January: Sea Beam/dredging investigation of the Lau back-arc basin, Pago Pago- Tongatapu, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, chief scientist J.W. Hawkins, R/V THOMAS WASHINGTON.
- 1986 April–May: Sea Beam/water sampling investigation of the Mariana trough back-arc spreading center, Guam-Sasebo, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, chief scientist H. Craig, R/V THOMAS WASHINGTON.
- 1987 April: ALVIN/AII investigation of the Mariana trough back-arc spreading center hydrothermal vents, Guam-Saipan, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, chief scientist H. Craig, R/V ATLANTIS II, DSRV ALVIN.
- * 1987 June: Sea Beam survey of AT&T cable routes, Honolulu-Honolulu, Seafloor Surveys International/Scripps Institution of Oceanography, chief scientist D.M. Hussong, R/V THOMAS WASHINGTON.
- * 1993 April–May: HMRI (SeaMARC) investigation of the Woodlark Basin, Lae-Guam, SOEST, University of Hawaii, chief scientist B. Taylor, R/V MOANA WAVE.
- ** Chief Scientist
- * Co-Chief Scientist
Return to the top of this page.